Sunday, October 31, 2010

Backpacking in the Goatrocks

Being a 30-something mom of 4 kids, every once in a while I feel the need to be adventerous and try something new (preferably anything active or to do with the outdoors).  There is a lady in our ward who is an avid outdoorsman and has done some extreme backpacking.  In passing one day I told her I would love to go on a backpacking trip, and thus the adventure begins.  We headed out the Thursday before Labor Day to the Goatrocks Wlderness (North of Mount St. Helens) and started our ascent.  It was 13 miles round trip.  The first seven miles  were all uphill.  I kept waiting for it to flatten out, but gave up all hope after the first 4-5 miles.  But more daunting to me than the physical challenge of carrying a 35 pound backpack uphill for 7 miles, were the narrow trails which often had steep slopes descending from them.  I have found I don't care for edges accompanied by steep slopes, but the experience and views of Mt. Raineer, the wildflowers,  and a crystal clear glacier lake, were absolutely unbelievable and worth any discomfort with steep edges. The word self-reliance took on a whole new meaning during this trip.  Having to rely on and purify our water from mountain streams/trickles, dig wholes and bury our waste, and live out of our backpacks for two nights was quite amazing and unlike any camping I've ever experienced.  Oh, and did I mention how terrified I became of bears over those two nights (a new fear I didn't know I had). Each night nestled right next to me in my sleeping bag was my new best friend- bear spray !  Even with the company of my new best friend, the nights were endless and sleepless.  The Nights in the untamed wilderness I found to be very different than in a developed campground with many other campers. Each sound brought on a newer and more horrifying scenario.  The second night we were serenaded by the high pitched squealing of a small rodent followed by the lower grunt,  which for sanities sake we will say was of a mule from a  horse camp a mile or so away. Early morning bathroom trips always included the escort of my new best friend.  All in all it was spectacular. Overcoming my fears made it that much better and added a little humor to the trip.  All that being said,  I was excited to come home and share my adventures with my family. Without my wonderful husband and children to share them with, my adventures wouldn't mean much.

1 comment:

Cami Eyre said...

AWESOME pictures Jen!! What a beautiful hike! Almost makes me want to go on one....emphasis on the almost! Me and bears don't mix :)